My lovely Followers

Monday 2 September 2019

Steampunk Top Hat Tutorial

Good morning crafty friends, I have promised to do a quick tutorial on how I made this steampunk top hat
from this coffee tub

I have written most of the information on each photo, so don't miss any pic out, and then some in between, be warned it has lots of photos ☺️ so grab yourself a brew, get comfy and start scrolling and reading. 


Firstly I cut a circle larger than the base of the tub out of a sheet of thick card and glued it on the bottom. 


I used Das air drying clay, but any clay that can be used in a mould will do, e. g hearty paperclay, clay made from Powertex and stone art. You're going to coat it in Powertex so it will become quite durable. 








Once dry I brushed over the whole piece with Powertex pigments mixed with their varnish


To decorate I used more of KatySue design moulds, the distressed cogs and the rusty pipes mainly, these are from their new Industrial Steampunk range along with the metal sheet mould used to cover the hat. 
I moulded them and once dry I painted them to look rusty and old and added some Powertex pigments and guiding wax, then stuck them on, all round and on the lid too. 









I made the goggles by covering 2 circles I cut from a kitchen roll and covered them with clay moulded from the same metal sheet mould, I added acetate behind each cog then stuck on to kitchen roll circles. The middle piece and side straps are actually made with a hinge mould also by KatySue Designs. I then added a little clay key and a flourish on each lens. 



So there you have it a Steampunk Top Hat that not only looks good but is also useful for storage. Even better made from rubbish that we would normally throw away. 
Just call me a Womble ;)

Even though this is a tutorial I'd still like to enter it into some challenges, hope thats ok.




Thanks for looking, I'd love to hear what you think, or if you have any questions, feel free to leave me a comment. 
Big hugs Sue xx


5 comments:

  1. https://welove2create.blogspot.com/
    Wow Sue, what a fabulous project you have made love it and the way you created it is absolutely amazing Thank you for sharing with the DT from We Love To Create, love having you and good luck Hugs Terry (DT) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous, love your upcycle idea! Many thanks for sharing with us SanDee's and Amelies Steampunk Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is kitchen magic! Awesome alteration!
    Thank you for sharing it with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just amazing and so great to see the step by step process too.

    Great card.

    Thanks for joining us at the Mix It Up Challenge Blog.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed your visit, your comments are much appreciated.
Hugs Sue x

Willowing Art Lessons

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...